Whey protein and electrolytes team up for rehydration and recovery in a refreshing, clear RTD
New water choices with clear benefits
Consumers are increasingly purchasing beverages with on-pack claims featuring added protein, hydration and electrolytes. In fact, 43% of mainstream consumers look for added protein in an exercise-related food or beverage, 33% value enhanced hydration and 28% favour products with electrolytes1. The on-going hydration trend, with North America leading the field, shows no sign of cooling off2, and new protein water choices are stepping up to meet this demand.
Fuelling the trend, in part, are numerous studies showing that rehydration is essential to support physical performance. In fact, 2% fluid loss can reduce athletic performance by about 8%3. Therefore, it’s crucial to consume the right amounts of fluids and minerals such as sodium, potassium and magnesium to stay hydrated. And the replenishment of electrolytes lost through sweating has come into recent – and fast-growing – focus. From 2020 to 2021 alone, launches of new RTD products with added minerals rose by 37%4.
Restore and rebuild
Just as important as rehydration is the need for rebuilding between training sessions. Exercise elevates muscle protein breakdown. Protein intake at doses of about 1.8 g protein / kg / day5,6,7, however, increases muscle protein synthesis5 and reduces protein breakdown.
Bringing it all together
Science backs up the benefits of consuming electrolytes and protein for rehydration and rebuilding after exercise.
That's why we've applied a heat-stable, high-quality whey protein ingredient to create pleasant-tasting protein waters that provide a compelling, on-trend answer for consumers looking to rehydrate and restore - especially when exercising.
Lacprodan® SP-9213 is 100% whey protein isolate, that keeps its functionalities after the addition of electrolytes, letting you formulate multifunctional, high protein products with additional health claims for added minerals and electrolytes:
- New flavour opportunities and flavour optimisation
- 100% whey protein ingredients
- Low pH application makes it easy to formulate
Possible on-pack claims
- Contains electrolytes
- High protein *
- Low sugar / Sugar-free *
- Low lactose / Lactose-free *
- Protein contributes to the maintenance of muscle mass and bones **
Let us help you to extend your product portfolio for health and performance gains, with all the functional benefits you need to deliver a refreshing and replenishing consumer experience.
Contact us to learn more and to get a sample.
* EU Regulation (EC) 1924/2006
** Commission Regulation (EU) 432/201212
- HealthFocus® International, Global Trend study, 2020
- Innova Market Insights: “Hydrating drinks”, 2022
- James et al. 2017 (https://doi.org/10.14814/phy2.13315)
- Innova product database 2022
- Kato et al. 2016 (https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0157406)
- Sollie et al. 2018 (https://doi.org/10.1152/japplphysiol.01132.2017)
- Moore et al. 2014 (https://doi.org/10.1139/apnm-2013-0591)
- Sawka et al. 2007 (https://doi.org/10.1249/mss.0b013e31802ca597)
- Maughan and Shirreffs 1997 (https://doi.org/10.1080/026404197367308)
- Kumar et al. 2009 (https://doi.org/10.1152/japplphysiol.91481.2008)
- Tang et al. 2009 (https://doi.org/10.1152/japplphysiol.00076.2009)
- Park et al. 2019 (https://doi.org/10.20463/jenb.2019.0015)