Osteopontin - Supporting immune maturation
The whey protein osteopontin has been identified in human milk, whereas only small quantities are present in bovine milk. As a consequence infant formulas have a significantly lower content of osteopontin than human breast milk which may impact areas like immune development.
Osteopontin is a heavily phosphorylated, acidic glycoprotein with strong calcium-binding properties. At Arla Foods Ingredients we can provide you with an 89% pure form of osteopontin, Lacprodan® OPN-10, the first osteopontin product on the market.
The reaearch in osteopotin
Preliminary research suggests that osteopontin plays a part in the development of infant immune functions, promoting maturation of the immune system and protecting against pathogenic infections. The addition of Lacprodan® OPN-10 to an infant formula may encourage similar immune modulation in formula-fed infants compared to breastfed infants. It therefore could be the missing link in infant formulas to deliver immune protection similar to human milk.
Benefits associated with osteopontin:
- Natural role in infant immune development
- Induces expression of cytokines important for protective immunity
- Reduces rotavirus severity
At Arla Foods Ingredients, we hold several patents for production and application of osteopontin.
Osteopontin - product range:
- Lacprodan® OPN-10: osteopontin fractionated from bovine milk. Osteopontin content of protein is min 89% and 88% (as is) protein concentrate approx. dry matter
Osteopontin - awards:
- Lacprodan® OPN-10: Winner of 2017 NutraIngredients Awards for “Ingredient of the Year – Immunity”