Lacprodan® CGMP-20 is a highly purified casein glycomacropeptide product with a very low level of the amino acid phenylalanine. Lacprodan® CGMP-20 furthermore contains a very high level of large neutral amino acids, such as threonine and isoleucine, which compete for uptake into the brain with phenylalanine.
Lacprodan® CGMP-20 is therefore an outstanding protein source for people with phenylketonuria (PKU) since these patients are not able to metabolize phenylalanine efficiently.
The current PKU diet consists of a low protein diet and free amino acids supplements in order to limit the patients intake of phenylalanine. Partly substitution of free amino acids with Lacprodan® CGMP-20 provides additional benefits to the patient, such as:
- Improved compliance due to a better palatability
- Improved satiety
- Potentially improved bone health
- Potentially improved gut health
Due to its low content of aromatic amino acids, casein glycomacropeptide is also a suitable dietary supplement for patients with hepatic diseases and Tyrosinemia.
The Lacprodan® CGMP-10 ingredient contains about 18% threonine – a level about three times higher than that of a standard whey protein concentrate. This makes it a highly concentrated dairy source of threonine.
Threonine constitutes about 22% of the peptide core. Thus, administration of a dose of threonine could potentially have a beneficial effect upon gut health by ensuring enough threonine is available for mucin synthesis.
Lacprodan® CGMP may also help reduce Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) symptoms. Both animal studies and a recently conducted human pilot study in IBD patients suffering active distal ulcerative colitis have indicated that nutritional supplementation with Lacprodan® CGMP is safe, well tolerated and may help reduce the disease activity.
- Lacprodan® CGMP-10: Casein glycomacropeptide with minimum 75% CGMP and a high content of sialic acid and above 83% protein concentrate approx. dry matter
- Lacprodan® CGMP-20: Casein glycomacropeptide with minimum 95% CGMP and a very low level of phenylalanine and above 78% protein concentrate approx. dry matter