Protein is needed every day and at all ages to ensure the body stays healthy and strong. All proteins are composed of building blocks called amino acids. Of the 20 amino acids needed, 9 are essential as the body cannot make them. Whey protein is a superior protein source as it contains all the essential amino acids, including the branched-chain amino acids, isoleucine, valine and leucine, which plays a critical role in building and maintaining muscles.
Hydrolysates are proteins which have already been “broken down” to some level, meaning they are absorbed into the blood more quickly. This can be highly beneficial to a number of groups of people, from athletes wanting faster recovery from training, to seniors who are fighting sarcopenia, to patients meeting with high protein demands while challenged with reduced absorption.
Read more about the health benefits associated with formulating health foods with our hydrolysates:
- Age related muscle loss – Sarcopenia
- Weight management/healthy weight
- Blood glucose control
- Bone health
The degree of hydrolysis (DH) is the level to which a protein has been broken down, and signals the percentage of the peptide bonds in a protein that have been cleaved in the hydrolysis process.
Arla Foods Ingredients has a range of whey protein hydrolysates, includes:
- Lacprodan® SP-3071: UHT stable whey protein hydrolysate for neutral beverages with a low bitterness profile and high solubility. DH (6-10) and 80% protein concentrate approx. dry matter
- Lacprodan® DI-3065: UHT stable whey protein hydrolysate with a low bitterness profile suitable for high protein clear beverages at a wide pH range DH (23-29) and 81% protein concentrate approx. dry matter
- Lacprodan® DI-2021: casein protein hydrolysate containing high amounts of casein phoapho peptides (CPP) DH (8) and 93% protein concentrate approx. dry matter