Affordable nutrition – overcoming moderate malnutrition in low-income families
Inadequate nutrition is a constant challenge for low-income families living on a few dollars a day. For many, the priority is to buy the most filling foods they can afford to avoid everyday hunger. Their staple diet often lacks essential nutrients as a result. At Arla Foods Ingredients, our work with affordable food is aimed at providing better access to nutrition.
Breaking the vicious circle
Moderate malnutrition stunts the growth and development of millions of children around the world. It also compromises the health of young women – the mothers of the next generation. Initiatives that deliver reliable supplies of affordable, healthy and safe foods are vital to breaking this vicious circle.
Working with external partners, we are helping to build sustainable business models to provide better nutrition for low-income families in developing countries. The goal is to create value for all participants in the supply chain and, through that, make a long-term difference.
Our three target areas are:
- Dairy products that deliver key nutrients at an affordable price
- Nutritional powder mixes that combat malnutrition
- Ready-to-use supplementary foods that support faster recovery from moderate acute malnutrition
UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
These efforts are aligned with the following SDGs in particular:
- No. 2: to end hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition, and promote sustainable agriculture
- No. 8: to promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
- No. 12: to ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
- No. 17: to strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development