Arla Foods Ingredients’ newest product offers all the power of whey protein hydrolysate without the bitter taste.
Whey protein hydrolysate is more readily absorbed than intact whey protein, giving the body quicker access to amino acids1 and potentially reducing muscle damage.2 Several studies have shown that athletes experience improved recovery after intense exercise when they consume whey protein hydrolysate.3
However, whey protein hydrolysates are known for a bitter taste not found in traditional whey protein isolates or concentrates. This unpalatability is a common challenge for sports nutrition brands during product development.
Arla Foods Ingredients’ new 100% whey protein hydrolysate Lacprodan® HYDRO.PowerPro overcomes this challenge. It is 50% less bitter than comparable products with a similar degree of hydrolysis (21-27%).4
Anne Louise Friis, Health & Performance Nutrition Manager at Arla Foods Ingredients, said: “The benefits of whey protein hydrolysate for post-exercise recovery make it ideal for sports nutrition applications. However, its unpleasant taste is a familiar challenge during product development. Lacprodan® HYDRO.PowerPro solves this problem, offering all the power of whey hydrolysates without the bitter taste. It paves the way for a new generation of protein products that act quickly but also taste great.”
Lacprodan® HYDRO.PowerPro is ideal for powder shakes and ready-to-drink protein beverages. Sourced from grass-fed cows* and made in Europe, it is fat-free, non-GMO, Halal and Kosher. On-pack benefits include high-in-protein, no added sugar, great taste, low bitterness, easy-to-dissolve and low viscosity.
Arla Foods Ingredients will showcase Lacprodan® HYDRO.PowerPro at Booth #1565 of SupplySide West (17-18th October in Las Vegas). Concepts on show will include a 300ml shake packed with 20g of protein and a ready-to-drink protein water.
1. Morifuji M, et al. J Agric food Chem. 2010, 58 (15): 8788-8797
2. Hansen M, et al. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2014,25(2):97-109
3. Brown MA, et al. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2017:apnm-2017-0412
4. Based on blinded sensory evaluations
*1.During periods of shortage of pasture growth and nutritional value of the grass, our farmers may give the animals foliage-based supplemental feed such as silage or hay.
2. The nutrition of our cows may also include the incidental feeding of grain, which may occur to ensure the animals’ well-being. Livestock may only be given feed that complies with the relevant legal requirements.
3. We believe that the above-mentioned points are fully consistent with the USDA definitions of Grass/ Forage Fed.
Arla Foods Ingredients is a global leader in value-added whey solutions. We discover and deliver ingredients derived from whey, supporting the food industry with the development and efficient processing of more natural, functional and nutritious foods. We serve global markets within early life nutrition, medical nutrition, sport nutrition, health foods and other foods and beverage products.
Five reasons to choose us:
- We have R&D in our DNA
- We offer superior quality
- We are your trusted business partner
- We support sustainability
- We ensure security of supply
Arla Foods Ingredients is a 100% owned subsidiary of Arla Foods. Our head office is in Denmark.